7 Tesla Optical Cryostat
Quantum Design OptiCool®
The OptiCool by Quantum Design is a new magneto-optical cryostat using an innovative design that puts the sample volume in the heart of your optical environment. A custom 3.8 inch bore, split-coil, conical magnet offers fields perpendicular to the optical table up to ±7 tesla. The highly integrated design means, even with a magnet, your sample isn’t buried inside a large cryostat, far away from the optics. Seven side optical ports and one top optical port allow for optical access to your sample from a wide array of directions.
Possible applications for the OptiCool environment
- MOKE / CryoMOKE
- Raman / FTIR Spectroscopy
- UV / VIS Reflectivity & Absorption
- AFM / Microscopy
- NV / Color Defect / Vacancy Centers
- Time Resolved Magnetic Spectroscopy
- Quantum Optics
The OptiCool optical cryostat is a cryogen-free system with automated software to control temperature and magnetic field. At the push of a button you can change your sample temperature from 1.7 K to 350 K, with or without an applied magnetic field. A generous 89 mm diameter by 84 mm tall sample volume provides exciting possibilities in experiment design.
- 8 Optical Access Ports:
- 7 Side Ports (NA > 0.11)
- 1 Top Port (NA > 0.7)
- Temperature Range: 1.7 K to 350 K
- 7 T Split-Coil Conical Magnet
- Low Vibration: <10 nm peak-to-peak
- 89 mm x 84 mm Sample Volume
- Automated Temperature & Magnet Control
- Cryogen Free
The OptiCool's Sample Pod provides a place to build and customize your experiment on the bench. When you are ready to make a measurement, the Sample Pod easily plugs into the pre-wired temperature control column. Having multiple experiments arranged on multiple pods allows you to switch experimental hardware quickly. Sample Pods are available in both a standard configuration and a large-volume configuration depending on the experimental needs. Each type of pod can be further configured by changing the riser pieces (available in three lengths; included with the system) to adjust the height of the mounting plate.
- Standard Sample Pod – Allows for mounting plate positions at 56.4 mm, 32.8 mm and 12.4 mm below the magnet center.
- Large-Volume Sample Pod – Allows for mounting plate positions at 131.3 mm, 111.0 mm and 87.4 mm below the magnet center.
The OptiCool can be custom configured with three different types of wiring assemblies. Each cryostat can have up to 5 wiring assemblies pre-installed. The wiring assemblies present the necessary connectors to make contact to the pod and take care of thermal lagging, necessary to reach base temperature.
- Sample Wiring – Each sample wiring assembly contains eight twisted pairs for a total of 16 wires. Four 4-pin connectors are presented on the pod to make contact to your sample.
- Positioner Wiring – The positioner wiring assembly is designed to be compatible with attocube piezo positioner stacks. Each assembly has enough wires to run up to 3 different axes of motion with the RES position feedback. If position feedback is not required, the feedback wires can be repurposed to run an additional 3 axes of motion. Contact Quantum Design for more information.
- RF Coax Wiring – The RF coax wiring assembly contains four coaxial cables capable of carrying high frequency signals up to 20 GHz.
Positioning and Microscopy
Many optical applications require precise positioning of the sample to the optical path for focusing or examination of an area of interest. The ability to scan the sample is also required for 2D imaging of sample properties. To meet these needs the OptiCool cryostat can be configured with a piezo-based nanopositioning stack to move your sample in situ. The nanopositioner option comes with all the adapters needed to mount the nanopositioners onto a pod, specialized cryostat wiring, and cabling that can connect to the piezo controller. The nanopositioner stack can be mounted on the standard pod or on the large-volume pod depending on experimental needs.
Many experiments require a high-quality, high-NA objective. To address this need, Quantum Design offers a field-compatible Zeiss 100x LD EC Epiplan-Neofluar, infinity-corrected objective. With a 0.75 NA and a free working distance of 2 mm between your sample and the cold shield aperture, the optics are maintained in vacuum at room temperature to provide the optimal environment to take full advantage of this objective's high performance design.
Changing Windows in the OptiCool
Dynamics and Control in Quantum Materials
Probing Spin Dynamics in InSe with Time-Resolved Kerr Rotation